Seeking to achieve objectives including reducing cost, increasing sustainability, and ensuring maximum cleaning and sanitizing performance, Hill-Murray High School in St. Paul, Minnesota, has adopted Tersano Stabilized Aqueous Ozone (SAO®) as part of its COVID-19 Reopening Plan. SAO is a simple, safe, and sustainable way to clean, sanitize, and deodorize elementary schools, high schools and universities. Creating a cleaner, safer, healthier environment for students, staff, and community
is the goal of the Hill-Murray facility team.
To prepare a COVID-19 Response, Hill-Murray Facilities Director, Bill Schafhauser relied on premier Tersano partner, Green Science Solutions, for an innovative way to combat the virus.
“I originally met with the smart folks at Green Science Solutions prior to COVID hitting to talk about new technologies. The pandemic then changed everything and that’s when we got serious about Tersano.” Schafhauser’s facility staff conducted a detailed trial of SAO. The goal of the trial was to demonstrate a level of cleaning on par with or better than traditional chemical-based cleaners that were in-use—while also creating a simpler, safer, more sustainable way to protect students and staff.
When used as directed, the Tersano SAO system:
- Kills 99.99% of the Coronavirus-2 surrogate, MHV-3.
- Uses on-site generation eliminating the need to continually purchase chemical cleaning products.
- Increases productivity through an all-in-one solution.
- Is non-corrosive and safe for virtually any surface.
- Offers facility staff a zero-risk alternative to toxic chemical cleaners.
One of our parents is a nurse and she said our COVID plan is just phenomenal,” shares Hansen “She said, ‘You’re using the latest technologies, we’re really happy, and I feel safe.’ That’s the kind of response I want from my parents.
President, Hill-Murray High School
Hill-Murray is one of the premier high schools in Minnesota—as well as the United States. The campus features nine buildings, over one million square feet of cleanable space, and close to 1,000 students. “Innovation is embedded in our culture and so we’re used to looking at new technologies and considering new ideas,” explains Hansen. “We did a test, we monitored the results, and now we’re seeing that it is effective.”
“SAO works great on glass, hard surfaces, and virtually anywhere in the school,” explains Schafhauser. “Not only are we able to use SAO, we can also test its effectiveness with ATP meters.” Green Science Solutions provided the school with the innovative handheld meters that detect and measure organic material on surfaces.
In addition to the obvious financial savings of no longer purchasing cleaning products, Schafhauser loves the increased efficiency and the level of cleanliness, particularly in the era of COVID: “There’s a million reasons why you need to feel safe in a school, but you shouldn’t have to worry about it being clean.”
Our maintenance team loves SAO. It’s easy to use, it’s simple, people understand it and it’s effective.
- SAO reverts back to water and oxygen and can be disposed down the drain without negatively impacting waterways.
- Hill-Murray no longer purchases over-the-counter cleaning chemicals.
- Using SAO has given Hill-Murray a consistent, repeatable process for virus control in its high school.
- Hill-Murray has not sacrificed any cleaning performance by switching from chemicals to SAO.