With objectives including reducing cost, increasing safety and creating greater sustainability, the Clinton National Airport in Little Rock, Arkansas has adopted Tersano Stabilized Aqueous Ozone (SAO®) for cleaning and deodorizing. SAO is a simple, safe, and sustainable way to clean airports and enables airport maintenance to provide a cleaner, safer, healthier environment for travelers.
Clinton National Airport conducted a three-month trial of SAO in specific areas of the airport. The goal of the trial was to demonstrate a level of cleaning on par with or better than the traditional chemical-based cleaning that was in-use — while also simplifying the process of maintaining the sprawling airport.
The Tersano SAO system:
- Uses on-site generation eliminating the need to purchase, transport, distribute, and manage multiple cleaning products across the airport.
- Dramatically reduces traditional chemical usage by replacing stainless steel, glass, general purpose, carpet and floor cleaners.
- Increases productivity through an all-in-one solution resulting in lowering labor costs.
- Is non-corrosive and safe for virtually any surface.
- Offers airport maintenance a zero-risk alternative from toxic chemical cleaners.
The Clinton National Airport in Little Rock, Arkansas serves over two million passengers every year and is the largest airport in the state of Arkansas. With nearly three million square feet of cleanable space across 4 buildings, the airport employs a staff of 35 cleaners to maintain the buildings 24 hours a day.
"We were using many different products to clean and deodorize the airport. It got to be just too much," says Smith. "We decided to try and simplify while also increasing our sustainability and reducing our cost. We found out about Tersano SAO at the ISSA show in Dallas—and so we gave it a shot."
Smith prepared for the SAO trial by purchasing several ATP meters and organizing random testing over the course of several months. After three months of trial use, she deemed it a success.
Smith uses SAO to clean a multitude of surfaces: walls, floors, tables, chairs, tile, grout, terrazzo, wood, LVT and much more. She explains, "SAO cleans a lot but one of the things we love using it on is carpeting. I distinctly remember we once used it to clean spilled taco sauce. We poured SAO and the sauce came right out."
Employees resisted the switch from chemicals to SAO at the beginning because SAO is colorless and contains no scent. Says Smith, "It took a little while to train everyone but now they love it. Our bosses love it best of all."
One of our goals is to be one of the most sustainable airports in America and with SAO we are on the way to achieving that goal.
- SAO reverts back to water and oxygen and can be disposed down the drain without negatively impacting waterways.
- Clinton National Airport has been able to reduce its chemical usage by over 70%.
- Using SAO has created program and process simplicity.
- Clinton National Airport has not sacrificed any cleaning performance by switching from chemicals to SAO.