Driven to reduce the use of cleaning chemicals throughout Macdonald–Cartier International Airport, Bee-Clean Building Maintenance introduced the Tersano Stabilized Aqueous Ozone (SAO®) system for cleaning and deodorizing. The SAO solution is sustainable and safe, and would provide the Macdonald–Cartier International Airport with a healthier working environment.
Bee-Clean conducted a month long trial of SAO at its Macdonald–Cartier International Airport location. The objective of the trial was to demonstrate a level of cleaning on par with or better than the airport’s current chemical solution—while also simplifying the process, increasing savings, and decreasing the impact the aiport’s cleaning program has on its employees, patients, and guests.
The Tersano SAO system:
- Uses on-site generation thereby eliminating the need to purchase, transport, distribute and stock multiple cleaning products.
- Dramatically reduces traditional chemical usage by replacing cleaners, deodorizers, and stainless steel, glass, general purpose, carpet, and floor cleaners.
- Increases productivity through an all-in-one solution thereby lowering labour costs.
- Is non-corrosive and safe for any surface.
- Has SDS of 0-0-0. Bee-Clean staff are at zero risk of harm from toxic chemical exposure.
I show people an oil spot on a window. Then I use the stabilized aqueous ozone on it and it’s gone. The window is spotless and they look at me and go, ‘Holy smokes that’s weird.'
Bee-Clean Building Maintenance
Macdonald–Cartier International Airport serves nearly 5 million passengers per year and is named Best Airport in North America in 2011.
"Most green chemicals don’t work," says Longpre. "But Bee-Clean has a long-term commitment to sustainability in every aspect of our operations. We are the first in Canada to receive CIMS-Green Building Certification, so we needed to find a cost-effective, high-performing way to clean the airport without traditional chemicals."
Longpre consulted a colleague in Quebec who cleaned a casino with stabilized aqueous ozone. "He suggested I tried stabilized aqueous ozone so we purchased a dispenser and tried it for a month. I loved it," recalls Longpre.
With over one million cleanable square feet at Canada’s sixth busiest airport, Longpre's 115 employees work 24 hours per day, seven days a week to clean windows, floors, fixtures, bathrooms, lobbies and more. "At first, our staff was skeptical to get rid of the chemical cleaners," says Longpre. "But quickly they experienced the safety and health benefits of the stabilized aqueous ozone - and they saw the results. They were convinced like I was."
For Longpre, the benefits go beyond health and safety and extend to the bottom line. "Switching to the stabilized aqueous ozone has saved me a lot of money. We were using six or seven products like general purpose cleaners, glass cleaners, and degreasers," he explains.
My client couldn’t be happier. He’s 100% on-board. He loves how we’ve improved health and safety.
Now we’re down to two: the stabilized aqueous ozone and the degreasers. We’ve cut 60% of our cost.
- SAO reverts back to water and oxygen and can be disposed down the drain without negatively impacting waterways.
- Bee-Clean trial reduced the number of chemicals in use by 60% of their cost.
- Using SAO led to program and process simplicity.
- Best of all, no sacrifice in any cleaning performance.